Tuesday, July 27, 2010

You are never too old

"They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green." Psalm 92:14 (NIV)

I can never read these words without remembering Dick Collett. 'Uncle' Dick testified many times, both publicy and to me personally about how thrilled he was that, even though he was old, God was still going to work through him.

Our world today is geared toward a retirement of lounging around, travelling, playing golf etc. It's about accumulating wealth in order to do nothing much in retirement or to spend it on trips and leisure. It's a philosophy that is at odds with Christianity. It's not that God doesn't want us to play golf or have an overseas trip, it's more that he has plans to work through us right up to the time we take our last breath. There isn't this mythical age where all of a sudden our work for God ends just because our work for an income does.

For 12 years I have worked for the same mob and at no point in time has my employment been really secure. Just at this point it is less secure than normal! At almost 50 years of age and with no qualifications, the world is likely to say "you are too old mate". But God says that I will still bear fruit, even at 50 with no qualifications!

Age is of no consequence to God. God still has important work for me to do and if I keep my focus on him he will ensure that I still produce good fruit.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, thought that - at 40 !! Thanks for the verse and thoughts too.

    ReplyDelete