Thursday, July 8, 2010

Leading with respect

"Every high priest selected to represent men and women before God and offer sacrifices for their sins should be able to deal gently with their failings, since he knows what it's like from his own experience." Hebrews 5:1-2

I'm not going to write a commentary on Hebrews because, to be honest, I find this one of the more difficult books to understand at times. But as I read these verses I thought of leaders. Ok, leaders aren't exactly high priests, but some of them think of themselves as being above everyone else which I guess was a problem back then too.

I know many fantastic leaders both current and former who are great Christian role models. But there are also a few who aren't. "The high priest should be able to deal gently with their failings, since he knows what it's like from his own experience". Mmnnn... some leaders think they have never failed. They think that they are the source of all wisdom. Therefore, far from dealing gently with others who have failed, they put on the hobnail boots. Rather than encourage and build up they discourage, accuse and tear down.

Leadership is a tough gig and it's often hard to know the correct decisions to make. But one thing I am sure of is that as soon as someone starts to think of themselves as being better than everyone else they should be kept as far away from leadership as possible.

God, help me to remember that leadership is about serving not a position to assert myself over others.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.. I agree with your sentiments - It is not easy. Even though I am in a "semi" leadership role at present, I will pray that prayer too.

    ReplyDelete