Friday, October 29, 2010

Low profile servant

"He settled on twelve, and designated them apostles. The plan was that they would be with him, and he would send them out to proclaim the Word and give them authority to banish demons. These are the Twelve:...." Mark 3:14

I've read this passage on a few occasions but I will still never win a Bible trivia contest that asks me to names the 12 apostles. I cannot even remember the names of people I see every week. I still require several minutes to bring the names to mind, or have someone prompt me!

In this list of names it is those with a low profile that I can never remember. Simon Peter is well known as is Judas Iscariot. But then there is Bartholomew and Thaddeus, hardly household names.

Jesus chose these people. It's interesting that he didn't choose an all star cast. I guess you could say he went into the game with a fiery fast bowler, a spinner, a flashy batsman and a couple of dour middle order batsmen plus some line and length bowlers (Oh, and one match fixer!).

I don't need to be flashy to be chosen by God. If it's good enough for some apostles chosen by Jesus to be dour, low profile, yet important members of his team, then it's good enough for me too.

Thank you for having faith in me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment