Monday, October 4, 2010

Don't forget God's generosity

"Jesus said "were not ten healed? Where are the nine? Can none be found to come back and give glory to God except the outsider?"" Luke 17:17-18

In the 11 1/2 years that I worked for NAB, not once did I get a free lunch out of the bank. On my very first day at Western Bulk Carriers we went out to lunch and the company paid. Many times over my 21 years at WBC & EBC the company has paid for lunch or the Christmas party, plus soft drinks, biscuits and fruit in the office....It's an incredibly generous company to work for.

The story in Luke 17 tells us that ten lepers called out to Jesus for help. He healed them all. Yet only one came back to thank Jesus and offer praise to God. And, as Jesus remarked, he was a Samaritan, an outsider.

It's sometimes easy for me to forget how fortunate I am at work. It's sometimes easy for Christians to take for granted all that God has done for us because we have become used to being on the receiving end of his generosity. I'm sure that quite often it is the 'outsiders' who recognise their blessings from God and praise him more than 'us Christians' who, if we are not careful, become blasé about receiving God's gifts.

Forgive me God for the times, probably regular times, that I just expect to receive from you and overlook your blessings or accept them without offering thanks and praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment