Thursday, November 4, 2010

Wretched computers

Computers can be fantastic things. It's hard to imagine life without them now. But, gee, they can be frustrating and make you wonder whether technology has made things more complicated than was the case prior to their invention.

I am leading our Bible Study tomorrow and for the study that I had decided to use I had a dvd, leader's guide but no participant's guide. The good part about computers/Internet is that it is possible to download a PDF version of the participant's guide. The bad part is trying to actually do it! Having found the guide I needed to purchase it. To purchase it I needed register with the supplier. Of course, registering requires a user name that hasn't already been taken and a password that requires upper case/lower case/numbers/Mesopotamian hieroglyphics, plus some Arabic and Greek letters.

Having spent 10 minutes trying to register for my $1.99 purchase the system took me to a shipping page where I had to fill in a shipping address, despite the fact that I was downloading my purchase, plus a phone number that had to be in a specific format.

Then it told me there had been an error and I needed to ring somebody to fix it. Close and reboot is always a preferable option and, on this occasion it worked and I finally purchased my $1.99 participant's guide. But wait, there's more! An email arrives with a link to download my purchase. But, of course, I have to register with another site to download my guide. Eventually, with dilating pupils, red face and raised blood pressure, the file opened and there was my precious participant's guide. It better be a good study....

The most famous verse in the Bible is, of course:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
So simple. Whoever believes. No frustration trying to register online with multiple passwords and trying to fill in Australian state names when only American states are accepted. Nothing like that. Just whoever believes.

Thank you God for making it all so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment