Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What sort of mindset do I have?

I find it interesting, but not surprising, that I don't feel like reading the Bible at the times that I really need to read it. Today is one of those days. I have received some news that hasn't exactly made me a happy chappy! One sage piece of advice that I received from Kevin Grigsbey when he was our Corps Officer (minister) was that he never mailed a letter until the following day that he had written when he was angry. So, I won't blog today on my thoughts. Yet, as I opened my old journals from previous years I read something that I needed to read. So, even though I didn't feel like reading Kings, Chronicles, Jeremiah & Revelation today I have still received a message that I needed to hear. This is my 7th Sept 2006 journal:

"The evil mindset spread to the leaders and priests and filtered down to the people...." 2 Chr 36:14.

People in leadership positions have a lot of pulling power over the people they lead. Their influence can be considerable. When we look at countries such as North Korea or Cuba we see countries ruled by the influence of one man. But they wouldn't survive if their influence had not spread to other leaders and the military.

Evil leaders tend to spread fear but leaders of God need to lead in different ways.

It is a challenge to us and to me to think about what mindset we have and what is being filtered down to others we have the privilege of leading. We have a responsibility to ensure that the mindset we spread is one that demonstrates the characteristics of God.

God, with the influence that I have, help me to be an influence that brings people closer to you and demonstrates your values.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian,

    I Blogged about my "Hissy Fit" on the weekend and the fact that instead of throwing my arms up, I should stretch them out to God and others around me.

    I let my "frustration" on Sunday morning get the better of me, and as a (Deputy) Leader, I should know better - and for that I am sorry.

    I'm not sure if I am reading more into this, but, again, I thank you for your thoughts.

    ps. If I had nothing to do with your thoughts, disregard the above comments ..... (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete