Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The key to life

"One of the religion scholars spoke up: "Teacher, do you realize that in saying these things you're insulting us?"" Luke 11:45

I'm not sure whether the scholar was trying to be polite or was a bit thick. What a silly question to ask. Jesus had just said that their insides were maggoty with greed and secret evil. He called them stupid, frauds, hopeless, unmarked graves with rot and corruption under a nice grassy surface. And the scholar asked Jesus if we was aware that he had insulted them! Jesus then went on and gave them a bit more.

There is a bit of a problem when religious leaders seem to be totally oblivious to their evil and corruption.

Amongst other things Jesus said "you took the key of knowledge, but instead of unlocking doors, you locked them. You won't go in yourself, and won't let anyone else in either". That's a terrible indictment of the Pharisees.

In reality I guess we all have issues where our inward lives don't match up to the outward show we put on. Hopefully I am not as bad as a Pharisee but what an indictment it would be on me to have the key to life and not use it or, even worse, deliberately prevent others from using it either.

God, help me to become more transparent. Show me the hypocritical areas of my life where I don't seem to be able to see what should be obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment