Thursday, August 12, 2010

Knock Knock...

I made a bad mistake this morning. At about 3am as it was pouring with rain and the roof and all the windows were rattling, I decided to check on the 2 cats shut in the laundry in case they had taken fright with the weather. One was awake but fine and the other was still fast asleep. Oh well, maybe on this occasion they could spend the rest of the right sleeping in the lounge or maybe on the end of the bed. No such luck. Awake and refreshed from their sleep they decided to fight, often jumping all over the bed. So much for the rest of my sleep. So, in desperation I got them out of the bedroom and shut the door. And then they meowed at the door.

They had 90% of the house to themselves yet they wanted to be in the other 10%. There are probably a number of thoughts that come to mind about this situation. One is that they are like kids when the one toy that another child has is the one they want. But the one that came to mind for me at 3am (bit sad isn't it?) is that we quite often confine God to a percentage of our lives. Some people leave God outside completely. Some people give God about the size of my laundry and shut him out of the other 95%. Some are good and allow God into 90% of their life but still 10% is off limits. Who allows God 100% access?

One of the more famous verses in the Bible, if I can put it that way, is Revelation 3:20 "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." (Fortunately God knocks, not meows!). I don't know why but I have always associated that verse with non-Christians but it is part of the letter to the Church in Laodicea, the infamous neither hot nor cold but lukewarm, church that makes God want to vomit. It is directed at believers. Interesting. What percentage of my life is sealed off with a locked door on which God is knocking?

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't help myself
    Look Up Song 299 (Tune Aurelia)
    Best known from "The Light Of The World".

    Verse 3 is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete