Thursday, August 19, 2010

The dog and the politician

I have the dubious honour of living in what is, for another couple of days anyway, Australia's most marginal seat. McEwen is held by the Liberals by a mere 27 votes. Hence, I am being deluged with electoral mail. Liberal polling must show that Labor is going to win the seat because today, for the third time in four days I had mail from the Libs. Not just one letter, but two! Do they think the more mail they send, the more likely I will be to vote for them? Obviously. But they might be wrong. It might encourage me to vote against them. What a waste of money!

After clearing out my P.O. box I wandered around the corner and saw a man sitting down eating his Subway roll. His mutt was sitting loyally at his feet, never taking its eyes off the roll, hoping no doubt to be fed. When its owner ignored it, it inched further forward. When its owner still chose to ignore it, it barked.

My lessons/challenges today - 1) Just as it isn't wrong for the Liberal party to try and solicit my vote, it isn't wrong for me to spend money on myself. But at what point does it become obscene? Is my spending ethical at the moment?

2) Sometimes there is need right in front of us that we just don't see. Sometimes the need inches closer to us and other times it actually barks at us, and still we ignore it. What needs I am not noticing right now or choosing to ignore?

God, help me to use my resources better and not ignore the need that is right in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment