Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fake worship

"You know, don't you, that I'm the one who emptied your pantries and cleaned out your cupboards, who left you hungry and standing in bread lines? But you never got hungry for me. You continued to ignore me." Amos 4:6

These chapters of Amos are one of the best sprays delivered in scripture. Ps 86:5 says that God is not easily angered. Israel must have really gotten under God's skin to receive this message from Amos.

The interesting thing is that they were still 'worshipping' - doing the done things. But it was all show. They didn't really have any hunger or thirst for God.

Not surprisingly God gets rather testy when people bring gifts to him that are not from the heart; gifts that are more a show to others than a gift to God.

God wants us. He wants our love. He wants us to hunger and thirst for him. He wants to be the object of our attention, not be used by people for their own ends.

I need to ensure that my worship is pure; that I am continually hungry and thirsty for more of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment