Thursday, April 7, 2011

What else can I learn from one of my favourite stories?

Today my reading was one of my favourites, one that I have blogged on before. It is the story of Hannah who was childless and promised God that if he would give her a child she would give the child back to God. And she did. She took Samuel to the temple and left him with the priest, Eli. And, of course, God blessed Hannah's devotion by giving her 5 more children.

In all of life's stories there are other people involved, others who are a part of the script. In this story there is Elkanah, Hannah's husband. These Old Testament times often seem brutal and the way in which women were treated often makes me squirm. But Elkanah, who also had another wife who did bear him children, obviously loved her deeply and showed a great deal of compassion towards her. He, I think, can take part of the credit for the outcome of the story. For without his love Hannah might have given up, or might have been totally ostracised because she hadn't given him children.

The other character is Eli the priest. I cringe at the first mention of Eli in this story. Hannah went to the temple to pray "Crushed in soul, Hannah prayed to God and cried and cried—inconsolably" (1 Sam 1:10). Eli's response? He accused her of being drunk. Great. Poor Hannah is already at her wits end and the priest's response is to accuse her of being drunk. To her credit Hannah didn't give him a mouthful back (I think I might have). And to Eli's credit, after hearing Hannah's explanation his attitude changed, although there is no record of an apology.

So what do I make of this great story today. Nothing earth shattering. Having persisted with reading this far you must be disappointed! Firstly, as with Elkanah, it is a must that we show compassion to innocent people. Who are the innocent in our society today? Or who in my circle of contacts is innocent? I am treating them with love and respect?

Secondly, am I guilty of being like Eli? Making judgments based on what I see and not what is really going on. How rude and insensitive of Eli to speak to Hannah the way he did. There is no excuse. Who, today, will I come into contact with and make and ill informed initial judgement? How about finding out some facts first rather than being judgemental as a first response.

No comments:

Post a Comment