Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Isn't there another way?

Not a biblical blog today....

There are many things I don't understand. I don't understand the AFL's match review panel and it's anti Hawthorn viewpoint (ok. I know I am biased). I don't understand the Army's headquarters decision making. I don't understand the Gillard government's carbon tax policy. It seems ridiculous to me. And I don't understand inflation....

Today the CPI figure was released and our inflation rate for the year to March was 3.3%. The cost of fuel went up 8.8%, vegetables up 16%, fruit up 14%, pharmaceuticals up 12.5%, deposit and loan facilities up 4.6%. In other words, the things that ordinary people need in order to live have gone up. And once Ms Gillard's carbon tax comes in, watch the electricity bills go up... again...

So, what are the economists saying. "Inflation is on the march. Put up interest rates." I'm not an economist and maybe a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, but how does putting interest rates up help the majority of people. People still need to eat, educate their kids, buy pharmaceuticals. And, as many people have no choice but to live in outer suburbs with little or no public transport, thanks to decades of incompetent governments, they have to drive cars which use petrol. What is an interest rate rise going to do for them? Do they stop eating because their mortgage or rent has gone up, again?

If some people are still buying too many tv's or BMW's surely there is another way to cool demand. Why put up interest rates which hurts the vulnerable the most? It all seems rather unethical to me? What would be a Biblical solution? It's an interesting question. I doubt very much that God would choose to put up interest rates because the poor are very much at the forefront of his concerns.

I do believe that capitalism is the best of a bad bunch of options. But sometimes the policies of these highly paid public servants leave me shaking my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment