Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reaching the end of the rope

"They came, tons of them, bringing along the paraplegic, the blind, the maimed, the mute—all sorts of people in need—and more or less threw them down at Jesus' feet to see what he would do with them. He healed them." Matt 15:30

I've written before about the faith and determination of these people bringing the sick to Jesus. Jesus had climbed a mountain yet tons of people still struggled up with their handicapped family & friends. But it's the next bit that caught my interest today. They virtually chucked the sick at Jesus' feet to see what he would do with them.

You get a sense of absolute frustration here. These people have reached the end of their rope. They have family & friends with handicaps and have reached the point of desperation. So they struggle up a mountain for one last effort to find a way out of their seemingly hopeless situations.

What did Jesus do with them? He healed them!

This is the Jesus we worship. He is the God of last resort at times for people. It would be good if we sought him out at the start, not when we are desperate. Yet, he is the God that does stuff that no human can!

I have been watching General Bond's welcome meeting today (as you do at work!). It's only 2hrs 20mins long if you have the time.

http://www.salvationarmy.org/ihq/www_sa.nsf/vw-dynamic-arrays/EF83AFD7532CF1218025784F0034CE06?openDocument

At the end of the meeting the General uses a well known song which I have sung many times, but in light of my reading today these words jumped out

At the moment of my weakness,
When my need for pow'r is plain,
And my own strength is exhausted once again,
Then my Lord has made provision
For the day of my despair,
And His precious Holy Spirit hears my prayer, my prayer,
Then my Lord has made provision
For the day of my despair,
And His precious Holy Spirit hears my prayer.

God made a provision for the day of despair for those on the mountain all those years ago and today he brings provision for our despair and his Holy Spirit hears our prayer.

Thank you for being the God who solves the impossible and delights in being there for those who have run out of hope.

1 comment:

  1. HI Ian, I had this song playing in the car on the way home from work yesterday too (another one of my favourties).

    Holy Spirit, promised presence fall on me
    Holy Spirit, make me all I long to be
    Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit
    Give your power to me O Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete