Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Who hears accurately?

"While the cargo was being unloaded, we looked up the local disciples and stayed with them seven days. Their message to Paul, from insight given by the Spirit, was "Don't go to Jerusalem."" Acts 21:3-4

The local disciple's message to Paul was "Don't go to Jerusalem". Agabus the prophet's message was "This is what the Holy Spirit says: The Jews in Jerusalem are going to tie up the man who owns this belt just like this and hand him over to godless unbelievers." Paul's response was "The issue in Jerusalem is not what they do to me, whether arrest or murder, but what the Master Jesus does through my obedience. Can't you see that?"

Who was right? The local disciples and Agabus both warned Paul not to go to Jerusalem. Both claimed it to be a word from the Holy Spirit. Paul claimed to be being obedient to Jesus. So, did God want Paul in Jerusalem or not? Someone wasn't hearing the word of God correctly.

I can actually take some encouragement from this. Sometimes when I read about the early church they seem to have a direct line to God. Everything is so clear cut as though God is speaking audibly to them. Yet, even the most spiritual of them seem to be hearing different messages from God.

There have been times in my life when people have literally said to me "God has said to me...." Yet what they have told me just doesn't sound right. I have questioned whether I am so out of touch with God that I'm just not hearing what they are telling me I should be hearing.

There will be occasions when the word from God is so loud and clear that there is no doubt. But more often than not the message from God isn't quite as clear as some people would like to make out. It's probably just as well as it encourages me to keep listening and not be so arrogant as to think that hearing from God is as simple as turning on the radio and hearing the word of God for my life at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment