Monday, January 24, 2011

O Happy Day!

19,16,15,14,7,2,0 It looks a bit like one of the questions from an I.Q. test where you have to select the next number in the sequence. What it actually is is the number of blogs that I have written from month to month, starting with July and ending this month. As the initial enthusiasm for the blog waned so did the number of entries. And then we arrived in December when every Salvo's blog entries dropped as we grappled with Christmas caroling. After today the zero will become one.

In life we often start on new things with enthusiasm and gradually drop off. And a drop off in intensity and enthusiasm is something that happens to us as Christians too.

This morning I have been watching/listening to a bit of the Welcome to The 2011 High Council. The advances in technology that allow us in Australia to be a part of the High Council welcome in London are quite remarkable. Apparently the programme is about 3 hours long - even longer than our Divisional meeting last night! Speaking of which....we sang that great song 'O Happy Day' and were asked whether the day on which we were 'saved' was the happiest day of our life, or words to that effect. I'm not sure that it was my happiest day as such. Most momentous and important, yes but I don't recall leaving church that night as happy as I was when I left the MCG on grand final day 2008! But it was certainly the day that my life changed in a way that has eternal consequences.

I often think of 2 Thess 3:13 which says "And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good." I do tire of doing good sometimes. I tire of doing a blog, I tire of being in a band (is that doing good?!), I tire of being in a leadership position and so on. I guess it is important to understand what 'doing good' really means. Being a disciple of Jesus, learning from him and doing what he did is really about 'doing good' I suppose.

So, in a new year, already 24 days old, celebrating the 'happy day when Jesus washed my sins away' and 'never tiring of doing good' are two challenges for me this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment